Tiare Massage’s COVID-19 (Corona Virus) Response
Updated – March 23, 2020
14 Day Quarantine for Those Arriving on Island …
Stay at Home Order…
In light of the heightened awareness surrounding the concerns over the COVID-19, Tiare Massage has implemented some mandatory practices and also wants to emphasize that continued strict hygiene practices will be followed to create a safe environment for our clients as well as our therapists.
Here are some Protection suggestions curated from the various infectious control entities, such as…
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- Hawaii Health Dept
- Hawaii County and Hawaii Civil Defense
- Hawaii DOT
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance.
- Keep up to date on the latest COVID-19 hotspots (cities or local areas where COVID-19 is spreading widely). If possible, avoid traveling to places – especially if you are an older person or have diabetes, heart or lung disease.
- Self-isolate by staying at home if you begin to
feel unwell, even with mild symptoms such as headache, low grade fever (37.3 C
/ 99.14 F or above) and slight runny nose, until you recover. If it is
essential for you to have someone bring you supplies or to go out, e.g. to buy
food, then wear a mask to avoid infecting other people.
- If you develop fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical advice promptly as this may be due to a respiratory infection or other serious condition. Call in advance and tell your provider of any recent travel or contact with travelers.
- Only wear a mask if you are ill with COVID-19 symptoms (especially coughing) or looking after someone who may have COVID-19. Disposable face mask can only be used once. If you are not ill or looking after someone who is ill then you are wasting a mask. There is a world-wide shortage of masks, so WHO urges people to use masks wisely.
For the protection of our clients and also you as therapists because both are equally important, we are expanding our health questions to each client when they call to schedule massage as follows…
- Is anyone in your party exhibiting any flu-like symptoms?
- Fever ≥37.3°C … ≥99.14°F
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Has anyone in your party been in contact with a known or suspected person infected with COVID-19?
- Has anyone in your party traveled in the last 30 days to “severely” affected areas?
- South Korea
Questions to Our Therapists
If a therapist becomes ill in any way, they will be directed to stay home and rest and notify Tiare of the progression of any symptoms.
Once the symptoms are completely gone, prior to working with Tiare clients again, Tiare Management will review the same questions we are asking our clients listed above in the previous section.
Also, when a therapist travels off Island, again, once the therapist returns and prior to working with Tiare clients again, Tiare Management will review these questions as well.
Keep in mind as you travel that if someone is exhibiting symptoms, practice the “protections” mentioned above and also, best to avoid close contact with them.
Therapists Best Practices
- Hand washing is the top priority as it always has been.
- Therapists are instructed to bring and use their own towels for drying and not use towels at the clients’ locations.
- Do not touch eyes, nose or mouth to prevent transfer of anything from the hands.
- Therapists will clean massages tables and other massage equipment after each massage using either a spray bottle with alcohol or other suggested ingredient (suggestion is to have a substance with at least 60-70% alcohol) and wipe down with a paper towel and dispose after each use or use an alcohol type of wipe.
- Therapist will limit the surfaces touched at the clients’ locations.
- Therapist will limit the surfaces a client touches in regards to massage equipment, credit card processing, etc.
- If the client touches something, the therapist will sanitize the equipment before the next use or sooner.
- The therapists will wash their hands after handling the sheets/laundry and before handling the cleaned and dried sheets again.
Most if not all of the above practices have been practiced previously but the recent events, if needed, have only brought the importance of these practices to the forefront of our therapists’ minds.
As one of our therapists said …
“My OCD has really kicked in to clean, clean, clean and then clean again.”
Shipments to Hawaii
As for the supply of goods into the State of Hawaii, the Department of Transportation and our shipping companies confirm transportation operations from the west coast and inter-island will remain as scheduled and there is no need to hoard food.
The health, safety and comfort of our clients as well as our therapists is of upmost importance at Tiare Massage.
If you have any questions, feel free to use our contact form or call us.